I've been painting my daughter's room for a month now. It's approximately 8 x 15 ft. Small. I bought some milk paint that I was really excited about. I put a coat on then another and then noticed that it was cracking. Eveywhere. I totally freaked out. It was pulling away old paint in some places. So I called the company--which is great--but they didn't really know what was going on. But they offered to send me a sealer and some more paint. So I spent many hours fixing the walls. And put up the sealer. And then I carefully added another coat of paint. It was fine. I added another. As it started drying I noticed some cracks. I figured I missed a few spots since the sealer was clear. I was (stupidly) optimistic. 'I can fix a couple spots' I thought to myself. The couple spots turned into lots and lots of cracks. So a month later, here I am getting ready to fix the walls again. I can handle it. But am I ever tired of this project. I am officially done with the milk paint. Duh. There was some sort of chemical reaction happening with the paint and my walls. They just did not get along even after I applied the sealer. Judging by the company's reaction, this is not the norm. Anyway, this week---if I have the energy and the courage---I will finish the painting. Just writing about it makes me tired.
In other, more upbeat news, I am slowly updating all of my store photos. I have never really been happy with the photography situation going on there. It had a very jumbled, chaotic feeling. It needed some cohesion. So from now on, all of the photos will have a clean, white background. It looks nicer (or will when I'm actually done). It's a lot easier to do. No need for creativity or staging. And it feels more professional. The large scale items will likely be taken with horizontal fence backdrop which I don't love. But it's harder to come up with a solution for big items. I once made a backdrop with PVC pipes and muslin but it was the worst. It was 6 feet tall for one and anytime I wanted to use it, I had to haul the parts from the basement with lots of sharp turns which made it difficult, and then when I put it together, it would always fall apart, making me wildly angry. So I don't use it anymore. In fact, I don't think I ever actually used any of the photos I took while using it. It would be great if I could keep it set up, but we don't have room for it.
I also added a bunch of small items to my shop this weekend. I had much success at the estate sales last week. I also have a small (large nightstand or small dresser size) campaign dresser that will be available mid-week if I can get some decent weather to work in. The plan is to do it in mint.
And lastly, and back to the room I'm working on. I have a nice, old dresser that I don't want for that room anymore. The bed is painted already and I want to update the dresser with something unpainted. I'll sell it as-is for $225. If you like it, but don't want white or those handles (which I frankly don't care for either), I can do it for $325. Sorry, the photo is pretty crappy but if you're interested, I can send you a better one or you can come take a look. I'm not in a big hurry to get rid of it since I don't have a replacement, but if you're in a hurry, maybe we can work something out.
Oh and we got our new couch! I love it. It had a couple issues when we got it and was a bit wobbly but we fixed it over the weekend and now it's perfect. I plan to get back to more consistent blogging this week and will post photos soon.